Thursday, January 04, 2007


Zorro
by Isabel Allende

"Out of the night, when the full moon is bright, comes a horseman known as Zorro!" That was the theme song of one of my favorite TV shows as a child. I couldn't wait to see this masked man brandishing his sword as he fought for justice. Isabel Allende has not let me down with her reinvention of Zorro, although, I would have preferred the author to have not spent so much time on Don Diego de la Vega"s (a.ka. Zorro or "fox" in Spanish) youth. Perhaps that's because I was so looking forward to swasbuckling swordplay on every page! Allende does weave the mysteries of American lore and rites, secret underground societies, pirates, and villains into her novel. Her vivid character descriptions and sense of humor make this book a fun read.


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?